The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the restoration of my 1934 Stoner Super-8 pinball machine.

Please note* You will find the oldest post is at the bottom, newest at the top...

Friday, January 31, 2014

1031

Today I cleaned the cabinet and have given it a coat of wax.  Luckily it does not need as many coats as the playfield because it is harder to buff out as there are wooden trim pieces that make it more time consuming and difficult.

The cabinet as you can see was extremely dirty.  There was white paint that had been splattered on the right side.  On the left side there was silver paint overspray.  I started out by cleaning the whole cabinet with mineral spirits to remove any grease, wax or polish.  I followed it with 50/50 water and Simple Green and then took super fine steel wool and buffed out the paint and got 99% of it off.  There were a few spots where the white was in a few cracks and was unable to get it out but luckily most was removed.  Then I finished by giving a coat of wax.  I will do one more tomorrow and should be done with the cabinet.

I found a couple interesting things when cleaning.  Among the dings and scratches and cigarette burns I found that somebody carved a P into the front of the cabinet when it was once on location.  The other thing I found was the serial number.  When I restored the Signal I searched all over the machine but could not find one or at least not sure if I did.  I found lots of numbers written in pencil on the inside of the cabinet and found the same with this machine.  But today when cleaning it I found the serial number stamped into the front of the cabinet below the coin slide.

Right side with white paint

You can see what it looked like originally where the plunger was removed.

Silver paint overspray on left side


















































Front after cleaning.

No more silver paint

No more white paint


















































A vandals handy work

Super 8 number 1031

No comments:

Post a Comment