The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the restoration of my 1934 Stoner Super-8 pinball machine.

Please note* You will find the oldest post is at the bottom, newest at the top...

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Arnold would be proud

When I purchased the machine I thought for sure I was going to have to refinish the playfield.  It was very warn and dry.  The Signal, even though was dirty and in need of some cleaning looked sooooo much better than this machine did.

I started out by trying to clean it.   I first tried using Murphy's Oil Soap Citrus which is what I used on the Signal and right away I started to lose a little paint from the Super-8 logo and stopped right away.  I started to look into what cleaners I could use and also for what to use to clear it with.  Pretty much everybody said they would not recommend clearing it and instead just wax it with paste wax which is what I had done on the Signal.  I also found out that as long as I removed all the dust and lose dirt, I could polish with Johnson's paste wax and not only would it shine it up, it would clean it at the same time.

When I did the Signal, I was told to use thin coats and to do minimum 6 coats.   When I had done that, I was always nervous I was putting on too much.  I was not sure if I was being even with the amount either across the entire playfield.  If you have not used paste wax, basically you rub a cloth on the paste which comes in a large can similar to a shoe polish can.  I was not sure at all if I had enough or too much and when to add more, etc, etc...

So this time I started to look for more information on best techniques to use.  I found a technique that was listed on two websites were you take a glob of the paste wax and put it in the center of a cloth cut from an old t-shirt.  Grab the corners of the cloth and twist them to form a ball of wax in the center of the cloth.  You then rub the cloth on the furniture and it will ooze out of the material and spread evenly.  I figured I would give it a shot and it was SO much easier.  I wish I had done this last time.

I have done 5 coats of the wax and followed the instructions Arnold gave the Fonz (It was the Fonz that Arnold told to do it, right?).  I waxed on, I waxed off.  I could not be happier with the results. I will do a few more coats and I still need to do the pathway from the plunger but the difference so far is amazing.  I did lose a little of the paint but I had to clean it so really no way to avoid it.  I believe though no more should be lost as it is protected.  There was an option to touch up the paint but I think it would look like crap and fake so chose to let it be what it is...

Is it me though or do these pictures make you think of Gary Payton dishing off to Shawn Kemp for a massive jam?  Maybe it's just me...

Arnold telling the Fonz to wax on, wax off...




























No comments:

Post a Comment