The purpose of this blog is to chronicle the restoration of my 1934 Stoner Super-8 pinball machine.

Please note* You will find the oldest post is at the bottom, newest at the top...

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

P is for Pigpen

So I have been busy getting the machine as clean as possible and am nearly done.  I have a few things to still order but mostly there. 

One of the issues I had was the coin slide was so dirty that to push a coin through was nearly impossible.  I felt I was actually going to break the slide doing it.  So I disassembled it and I think that the P carved in the front was done by none other than Pigpen himself.  When taking it apart there were piles of dirt, not sure a film of dirt.  I was shocked it was that bad. 

 Here is what it looked like prior to cleaning it.




















Si after taking it apart I cleaned it all with Simple green and then I sprayed it out with carb cleaner and then again withe Simple green.  After cleaning it moves freely and accepts coins the way it was meant to.  It did not spring back like the one on my Signal and realized that it is missing one of the two springs it needs and the one that is there is hooked up incorrectly.  I will search for a spring later today.  I also discovered why I have an issue with the slide on my Signal.  The Signal has an issue where the coins after being pushed through just sit on the slide and on occasion when the slide comes back out the coin jams as it gets pulled back in.  It winds up there is a piece that was removed from the slide that holds the coin when the slide is pulled back out.  As more coins are inserted, it pushed the coins down a small track which directs them into the coin box below.  I have started to look to see if a replacement part from a damaged slide is available but at this point, no.  So for now I have disabled the feelers on the Signal's coin slide that check for coins which allows the slide to be pushed in with no coin.  If I find the part, I will set it back to accept coins.

This is after pictures of the slide as well as a picture of the missing part from the other slide.


































More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment